Ashinaga Africa Initiative Cohort 11 (2024)
Please read the AAI 2024 Applicant Guidebook for full details about the program and for support with your application.
The Ashinaga Africa Initiative (AAI) is an international leadership program that supports high-achieving students who lost one or both parents and are committed to returning to sub-Saharan Africa to contribute to the continent’s ongoing socio-economic progress.
The AAI provides access to full financial support to study at a university abroad (equivalent to an undergraduate degree).
- Have lost one or both parents.
- Are citizens of one of the 49 sub-Saharan countries.
- Are less than 23-year-old
- Have completed 3 years of high school with an excellent academic record and consistently placed in the top 10% of their class.
- Do not have the means to attend university without external financial support.
- Are proficient in English, French or Portuguese.
- Are committed to returning to sub-Saharan Africa and using their professional path to contribute to its socio-economic progress.
- Have no dependents.
- Have no health conditions that would prevent them from studying abroad successfully.
- Are able and willing to spend a gap year to complete the full-time Ashinaga Preparation Year curriculum.
How To Apply
There are two stages to the Ashinaga Africa Initiative application process:
- Applicant Registration: All applicants must ﬁrst confirm their eligibility by registering for the program. Only students who register for the program and are deemed eligible will receive the link to the application form by email.
- Application: Eligible registered applicants will receive an email with the link to the full application.
Before completing this Registration form, you will need:
- Official death certificate of deceased parent or official government affidavit confirming you have lost one or both parents.
- A photo or scan of at least one of the following documents: Passport, National ID Card or Birth Certificate
- Official transcripts from your last THREE years of high school if you are in your third year of high school (two full years and semester grades if available); ALL high school transcripts if you have graduated high school.
- Photo or scan of your final Secondary School Examination Results Certificate (if applicable)
*If you have not received your final exam results before the deadline, you can still apply with all other documents. You will be asked to submit your final exam results when you have received them.
This Registration form is open until January 19th. You can return to it when you have collected these documents.
This application process is free, and anyone asking for payment at any stage is doing so against the will of Ashinaga.